The aim of this short FREE 12 hour programme is to introduce the knowledge, skills and abilities required to work with children and to enable you to identify your next step.
THE PROGRAMME AIMS:
- To give an introduction to the employment roles involving work with children for example: teaching assistant, childcare worker, play worker etc.
- To help learners decide whether work with children is right for them.
- To build confidence to apply for an appropriate accredited course.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is for people who are interested in exploring a career working with children and would like to find out what it involves, what the options are and how to access the necessary training.
MAIN TOPICS COVERED
Session 1 A look at children’s settings and the role of the workers.
Session 2 The Legal Bits: Current Legislation.
Session 3 A Unique Child – child development and assessment.
Session 4 Behaviour for Learning – communication skills and models of good practice for working with children.
Session 5 Case Studies and practical help.
Session 6 What next? What employment, training and funding options are available?
LEARNING OUTCOMES AND PROGRESSION ROUTES
By the end of the course learners will:
- Have become aware of and able to describe the range of children’s settings where they can build a career.
- Have understood the skills required for working successfully with children.
- Have become familiar with the current legislation connected with working with children.
- Be able to talk about the key milestones in childhood development and know about how this is currently assessed.
- Have learnt about models of good practice for working with children.
- Have made some decisions about their next careers steps.
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
This is a classroom based course taught by professionals who work or who have worked with children for many years. A brief assessment will be carried out at the beginning of the course to identify learning styles and any additional needs in order fully support learners on the course. The tutor will provide support with completing homework. If anyone feels they would benefit from additional literacy and/or numeracy support they can talk to the tutor in confidence.
HOW YOUR WORK WILL BE ASSESSED
This is non-accredited course. The homework will take the format of a Personal Learning Log. Introduction to Working with Children flyer Summer 2016
COURSE COST: FREE