The Care Quality Commission (CQC) is the independent regulator of health and social care services in England. We make sure that hospitals, care homes, dental and GP surgeries and other care services in England provide people with safe, effective, compassionate and high-quality care, and we encourage them to make improvements.
We are today publishing a report into the extent and quality of people’s involvement in their health and social care, based on new analysis of CQC’s national reports and inspection findings and on national patient surveys (please see the attached for more details). People’s right to being involved in their own care is enshrined in law in the fundamental standards of care. It is an essential part of person-centred care and leads to better and often more cost effective outcomes. This is particularly true for those with long term conditions or people who need to use services more intensively.
We wanted to share this report with you and also to ask you to share it with anyone you work with and may be interested. Additionally If you are able to support the launch of the Better Care In My Hands report on social media it would be great if you could tweet some of the following and/or use the hashtag #CareInMyHands:
• #CareInMyHands finds 57% of people reported they definitely felt involved in their care http://www.cqc.org.uk/careinmyhands via @CarequalityComm
• People with physical & mental health conditions feel less involved in their carehttp://www.cqc.org.uk/careinmyhands #CareInMyHands @CareQualityComm
• People over 75 feel less involved in their care http://www.cqc.org.uk/careinmyhands #CareInMyHands @CareQualityComm
• People with a learning disability feel less involved in their care http://www.cqc.org.uk/careinmyhands#CareInMyHands @CareQualityComm
• Flexible advocacy provision is crucial for people to feel they have #CareInMyHands http://www.cqc.org.uk/careinmyhands @CareQualityComm
• Community & peer support programmes help people manage their care http://www.cqc.org.uk/careinmyhands#CareInMyHands @CareQualityComm
• Supported involvement of families & carers is crucial to ensure people have #CareInMyHands http://www.cqc.org.uk/careinmyhands @CareQualityComm
If you have any questions or would like more information then please let me know.
Senior Regional Public Engagement and Involvement Officer (London & South East England)
Care Quality Commission (CQC)
CQC | 151 Buckingham Palace Road | London | SW1W 9SZ