Local Oxfordshire online magazine, Silver Robin, is hosting a competition on their website www.silverrobin.co.uk in association with Old School at The Oxford Academy, which will conclude end of June 2017.
Continuing a mutual passion for intergenerational work, Silver Robin and Old School are holding the competition to promote long lasting friendships that bridge the generational gap. Partnerships, between an older and younger person, are being given the opportunity to collaborate and produce a creative written or visual art piece. The theme is Then and Now; a comparison of eras and a sharing of experiences. Entered pieces are to be judged by local authors and well known faces.
Founder of Silver Robin, Avril Lethbridge, is passionate about this project: “It is so important to reach out to all parts of the community and bring together young and old, as we aim to reduce the ever increasing loneliness among the elderly. This competition will help us to spread the word, while encouraging creativity via inter-generational collaboration and, hopefully, ignite some lasting friendships”.
Primary School (aged 5-11) Visual (Artwork and Photography)
Primary School (aged 5-11) Written (Poem or Short Story, fact or fiction)
Secondary School (aged 12-16) Visual (Artwork and Photography)
Secondary School (aged 12-16) Written (Poem or Short Story, fact or fiction)
* Entrants must be a partnership of one Junior partner (aged 5-16, falling into either the Primary or Secondary categories), and one Senior partner aged 50 and over.
* Submissions must be the entrant’s original work and not breach Copyright laws.
* Entrants must enter their submissions by either post addressed for the attention of Hannah Jamieson: Then and Now Competition, The Oxford Academy, Sandy Lane West, Oxford. OX4 6JZ or via email to email@example.com. Submissions must be received by 12 noon on Monday 19.06.17.
* There is no limit to the number of submissions. Partnerships are welcome to enter as many submissions as they would like in either or both categories.
* Visual pieces can be any form of photography or artwork with no media restrictions.
* Written pieces can be poems, short stories, fact or fiction and have a 500 word count limit.
* The competition will be launched on Tuesday 02.05.17. Submissions close at 12noon on Monday 19.06.17
* Short listed submissions will be on display during The Lit Fest at The Oxford Academy during the week commencing 26.06.17.
* Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a celebration event during which the winners will be announced, to take place on Friday 30.06.17 (time TBC). * For further competition details email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01865 515598.
Category 1st Prize 2nd Prize 3rd Prize
Primary Visual £100 £50 £25
Primary Written £100 £50 £25
Secondary Visual £100 £50 £25
Secondary Written £100 £50 £25
Silver Robin is a lively and light-hearted meeting place for oldies to share and discuss interests, views, experiences and connect with like-minded people. It was founded to help combat loneliness in elderly by offering them a space to find useful information, new ideas, have fun, and when necessary, have a good grumble. It is a space to publish articles, memories, personal anecdotes and favourite “bon mots”.
Old School at The Oxford Academy
Old School is a partnership programme at the Oxford Academy that brings together members of the local community and young people in the school. The initiative has been designed to benefit volunteers (senior partners) and students (junior partners) alike and external experts have been brought in to track their progress. Upon evaluation, the project has shown significant positive impact for both, the senior and the junior partners, simultaneously combatting loneliness, increasing self-esteem and much more.