Oxfordshire South and Vale Citizens Advice is a successful, independent local charity providing the Citizens Advice service across South Oxfordshire and the Vale of White Horse. We provide (free) advice by phone or face to face to nearly 10,000 people each year via 150 volunteer advisers and 9 FTE staff. We operate from 5 Advice Centres in Abingdon, Didcot, Thame, Wallingford and Henley and 3 outreach locations. The main topics are benefits and tax credits, debt, housing, employment, relationship and consumer issues.
Following our advice, nearly three quarters of clients are able to resolve their problem.
We are members of National Citizens Advice who set the advice standard, support and audit us. Our funding comes from the 2 District Councils, Town and Parish Councils, local housing associations and local charities.
We would like to appoint 2 new suitably experienced trustees to help steer the organisation over the next 5 years. This involves a commitment to prepare for and attend 6 Board meetings a year, held in the evening at various locations. We also ask each Trustee to take responsibility for a particular aspect of the charity’s work.
In more detail, the Trustee will
- help the charity to plan ahead to ensure a sustainable future
- act as the lead Trustee for a particular aspect of the charity’s work
- protect the charity’s reputation, money and other assets
- ensure compliance with the relevant rules and regulations
- be open and accountable, complying with statutory requirements and addressing any queries about the charity’s fundraising.
- be a supportive and participatory member of the trustee board.
- build a relationship with OSAV CA staff and volunteers
Person specification The ideal candidate will have
- the skills, knowledge and commitment to help the charity meet a variety of challenges
- some familiarity with charitable governance and operations
- awareness of how new technology can help us reach the public more cost effectively
- experience of maintaining stakeholder interest, support and engagement
If you would like to apply for this role, please provide a CV and letter setting out how you meet the criteria set out in the person specification.
If you would like to discuss this role, please contact the Director, Jon Bright by email:
Jon.Bright@osavcab.org.uk or by phone on 01235 550553