Role summary: Youth Volunteer Co-ordinator – The Parasol Project
Fixed-term contract for 3 years. This is a full time role and requires absolute availability during school holidays (when activities will be running). Other working times including Wednesday evening Youth Group and office hours are subject to some flexibility with prior agreement with the Executive Director.
About The Parasol Project
The Parasol Project is a small, Oxford based, inclusion charity that has been supporting disabled children, teenagers and young adults in accessing high quality, age appropriate activities alongside their non-disabled peers for over 20 years. Our provision includes a variety of indoor/outdoor education and learning activities such as free play, arts/crafts, residentials, adventure sports (canoeing, laser tag and go-karting) music, dance, drama, film making, bushcraft, healthy eating, cooking and gardening projects. We run most of our activities during the school holidays, except for term time dance and youth groups.
One of the magical and unique things about The Parasol Project is its emphasis on inclusion. We champion equality and have created a unique ethos and culture that is present in all our work. We believe very strongly that whilst children may need to be streamed for educational purposes we don’t feel that it should always be the case that children are segregated when it comes to play, social and leisure activities.
The Parasol youth volunteering project was established over 18 years ago to help disabled and disadvantaged young people develop self-confidence, independence and communication skills and gain valuable work experience within a safe and supportive environment. This project has become the cornerstone of our Teenage service and is now a five-tier volunteering programme that helps our activities run more efficiently and effectively.
The Volunteer Co-ordinator has historically been a crucial but temporary role during summer holidays only. Thanks to a recent grant, we now have a fantastic opportunity to recruit a full-time co-ordinator for 3 years.
The main purpose of this role is to expand our existing volunteer programme, making it year-round. We now have an opportunity to grow our team of disabled & non-disabled volunteers, increase the number of placements we offer and build a comprehensive volunteer training programme.
The Volunteer Co-ordinator will also act as deputy to the Teenage Service lead during holiday and evening activities, sharing responsibility for the wellbeing (emotional and sometimes personal care) of both volunteers and young people. (Training provided). As our teenage service lead is male, we are recruiting a female Volunteer Co-ordinator to ensure we can meet the needs of all young people we work with. (This post is exempt under Equality Act 2010, Schedule 9, Part 1)
Job location (usual place of work): The Parasol Project, Tower Playbase Maltfield Road, Northway Oxford OX3 9RG
Pay rate: £20,000 to £23,000
Pay is pro rata?: No
Job title: Community and Youth Volunteer Co-ordinator (Female)
Applications close on date: 08/06/2018
Hours are: Full time
Contract is: Fixed term
Job description: Main Duties:
● Lead a team of staff in supporting the emotional wellbeing and personal care of vulnerable young women and teenagers.
● Building on success of current inclusive summer volunteer project for disabled and non-disabled young people by development of volunteer placements during all Parasol teenage activities.
● Building on successful pilot of volunteering opportunities for children aged 10 & 11 at Parasol’s inclusive child playscheme.
● Managing volunteer recruitment process including publicity, applications, interviews and trial shifts.
● Planning & running volunteer training programmes.
● Allocation & supervision of all volunteers on Parasol activities.
● Development of volunteer appraisal system.
● Administration of volunteering qualifications and awards including AQA training
● Planning & running Parasol’s inclusive teenage youth activities.
● Attending and contributing to regular management team meetings.
● Recruitment, planning & running Parasol’s youth panel.
● Management and support of volunteers at afterschool, children’s and teenage holiday activities
● Any other duties involving the volunteers
We are willing to consider candidates from any background provided they can demonstrate both the relevance of their skills and experience, and a sense of commitment to respond to Parasol’s inclusive vision.
Essential person specification:
● Ability to work as part of a team.
● Ability to prioritise and make decisions.
● Experience of working with young people.
● Ability to work in a self-directed manner.
● Good time management
● An understanding (and preferably direct experience) of the UK voluntary sector environment
● Excellent organisational, written and verbal communication skills, including experience and confidence in public speaking and report-writing.
● Computer competency including dealing with standard MS word, data processing, spreadsheets and databases
● Applicant must be suitable to work with children and young people
Desirable person specification:
● Experience of programme development.
● First Aid qualification.
● DBS registered for update service.
● Safeguarding qualification/training.
● Play work qualification/training.
● Disability Equality qualification/training.
● Food Hygiene qualification/training.
To apply, please contact: More detail about this role can be found in the Information Sheet and Job Description below.
To apply, please download and complete the Application Form and email to: email@example.com
Please let us know if there are any ‘reasonable adjustments’ we can make to assist you in your application or with our recruitment process.