Role summary: Oxfordshire Theatre Makers (OTM) are seeking an energetic Chair to volunteer 8-16 hours per month towards committee meetings, events, and a range of leadership, governance, financial and fundraising duties. An interest in the theatre arts is essential, and a degree of understanding about the processes and protocols involved in professional theatre making is desirable.
Job location (usual place of work): Oxford
Pay rate: Voluntary
Job title: Chair, Oxfordshire Theatre Makers
Applications close on date: 28 February 2019
Hours are: Part time
Contract is: Fixed term
Job description: Oxfordshire Theatre Makers (OTM) are seeking an energetic Chair to volunteer approximately 8 hours per month, comprising;
• 2 hours attendance and chairing monthly (evening) meeting
• 3 hours attendance at events (e.g. evening socials / theatre trips etc)
• 3 hours admin (at a time suited to personal availability)
Please note that this may increase to approximately 16 hours per month during busier periods – e.g. during key projects such as the OTM emanate showcase, which requires meetings with partners, liaising with producer on the phone & attendance at more events.
• Set agenda for monthly committee meetings and circulate
• Chair the meetings
• Sign off secretary’s minutes and circulate after the meeting
• Sign off minutes from the previous meeting and file a digital copy on dropbox
Steering group members:
• Keep an eye on sub-committees (marketing, membership, events & fundraising) – that they are working well and are on task.
• Periodically consulting with board members on their roles and help them assess their performance
• Co-sign and agree all cheques
• Authorise BACS payments online
• Liaise regularly with the Treasurer to maintain a clear grasp of the charity’s financial position and to ensure full and timely financial transparency and information disclosure to the steering group
• Contributing to fundraising sub-committee funding applications for special projects such as emanate – e.g. ACE, Oxford University Community Fund, Oxford City Council etc.
Leadership, governance and oversight:
• To be an ambassador for OTM and what it stands for
• Ensure that the organisation pursues its objectives as defined in its governing document, company law and other relevant legislation/regulations
• Manage relationships and communicate with funders, partners, and other stakeholders
• Facilitate the steering group in stimulating excellent, well-rounded and carefully considered strategic decision-making
Qualities and Skills Required:
• Good leadership and management skills
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Excellent administration skills and an organised approach
• Impartiality, fairness and the ability to listen to others and facilitate decision making during meetings
• Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up
• Good time-keeping
• Tact and diplomacy
• Understanding of the roles/responsibilities of a steering committee
• Ideally experience of organisational and people management
• Not exclusively open to those in the theatre community – we would welcome a wealth of different prior experiences and job roles – although a degree of knowledge of the theatre world and a passion for theatre is essential.
• Development of management skills
• Development of fundraising experience and the building of relationships with funders including with Arts Council England
• The building of personal connections within the theatre community – including direct links with venue managers & producers
• Access to the support network of the steering committee to drive activity forward for the betterment of all of Oxfordshire’s theatre artists’ practice
• Building experience of producing and managing events alongside the events subcommittee and emanate producer
• Building experience of public speaking at events
• Having a management position to add to one’s c.v.
To apply, please contact: HOW TO APPLY
Email email@example.com with a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role in line with our criteria above, along with a c.v.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions before submitting your application