Six Counties KPA
Job specification for Chair of Trustees
The Six Counties Kidney Patients Association is looking to appoint a new Chair of Trustees
We are a local area charity run on an entirely voluntary basis which focuses on kidney patients and their partners, carers, relatives and friends who have chronic kidney disease and /or renal insufficiency. This also covers patients who are pre-dialysis, are on dialysis, on the transplant list and those with a transplanted kidney.
The SCKPA covers members from the area served by the Oxford University Hospitals Foundation Trust. There are branches in Oxford, Milton Keynes, High Wycombe, Swindon and Stoke Mandeville. The branches meet regularly for a meal, social support and fund raising activities. Our quarterly magazine Viva is sent out to our members and has a wealth of information and humour in it. We also make it available in the various units.
We are affiliated to the National Kidney Federation along with other KPA’s The NKF maintains a Parliamentary lobby through the All Party Kidney Group.
Other things we do:-
- We are there to discuss and advise anyone with concerns about kidney disease including dietary restrictions and sign post them on to professional help where appropriate.
- We provide access to therapists on dialysis wards to ease discomfort such as cramps.
- Financial assistance can also be provided to patients on a short term basis.
- We raise funds at local units to provide equipment that the NHS does not provide
- We attend hospital trust meetings and pre-dialysis meetings.
- We organise 4 general meetings a year with a speaker over a meal or tea to educate ourselves and provide a forum for discussion on kidney matters.
The Trustees are looking for a person with an interest in health matters and has the enthusiasm and commitment to take the Six Counties KPA forward. The person does need to have empathy with kidney patients.
Additional qualities include:-
- Has proven chairmanship skills and can plan, chair and facilitate committee meetings leading in a clear, inclusive and collaborative way and ensuring that decisions taken in the meeting are implemented.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and can establish a good relationship with the Trustees and committee.
- Has the ability to think creatively and provide a clear strategic direction for the charity.
- Has the skills to be an effective ambassador for the charity with both medical and management staff of the Oxford Hospitals Trust, the National Kidney Federation and the “Renal Community” in general.
Also to represent the charity and act as a spokesman at appropriate events and functions.
- The time commitment would be variable but presently the Committee meets on a quarterly basis. There is also a spring meeting, summer lunch, AGM and Christmas Dinner. The charity does not have any staff as such to manage but all members are voluntary.
- This is a non-remunerated post, but out of pocket expenses are payable.
The chair must ensure that the SCKPA complies with all national regulations and supranational regulations in regard to its conduct. That it pays particular attention to the requirements of the Charities Commission to ensure full compliance.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in applying or need further information.