Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Crisis Skylight Oxford is located in the Old Fire Station in the centre of the city. It offers one-to-one support from a team of coaches, with practical, creative and vocational workshops, accredited learning opportunities and tailored employment programmes. It includes a social enterprise Skylight Café from Crisis which is open to the public. The Old Fire Station building also accommodates a range of flexible arts spaces which are run by an independent arts company. They work closely with the Skylight team to provide opportunities for homeless people, the professional arts and wider communities to meet, learn, network and participate together.
About the role
As a Receptionist/ Administrator you will be based on reception in the Old Fire Station. This is a busy area where you will be dealing with homeless people seeking advice, Skylight members, members of the public using the café or arts facilities, staff, Crisis volunteers, visitors and a steady stream of deliveries. You will also carry out administration and housekeeping functions relating to the customer service and facilities management of the Old Fire Station.
Knowledge/Skills and Experience:
To be successful in this role you will have experience of working within a reception or administrative support role, as well as experience providing a high standard of customer service. The post holder will have an understanding of the issues faced by homeless people, with the ability to deal with challenging situations and individuals with a range of needs, in order to reach a positive resolution through a calm and confident approach.
You will have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work successfully with disadvantaged or socially excluded groups and individuals. Effective communication skills, both verbal and written will be key, as well as working collaboratively within a team. As you will be the first point of contact for many people, you need to be friendly, enjoy helping and be willing to learn about Crisis and all the other activities taking place within the building. You will have good organisational skills with an ability to deal effectively with conflicting priorities, and a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word/Outlook/Excel).
Job location (usual place of work): The Old Fire Station, 40 George Street, Oxford
Pay rate: £18,035 per year (£22,544 per year full time equivalent)
Pay is pro rata?: Yes
Job title: Receptionist/ Administrator
Applications close on date: 27 May 2019 (11.59pm)
Hours are: Part time – 28 per week
Contract is: Permanent
Job description: Job title: Receptionist/Administrator
Reporting to: Reception and Office Manager
Aim and influence
• First point of contact for homeless people seeking advice, Skylight members, staff, Crisis volunteers, members of the public and visitors to the Old Fire Station
• Provide efficient reception cover and customer-focused support for the activities of Skylight Oxford and support the Reception and Office Manager with administrational tasks as required.
Other key details
• 28 hours a week, Tuesday 10.45am – 6.15pm, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 8.30 – 4pm
• Crisis Skylight Oxford works to an 11-week term with term breaks; timings of shifts may change during these breaks
• The role involves working with vulnerable adults and young people and so a satisfactory enhanced disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service is required.
Organisational Structure: Job Pack Receptionist Administrator May 2019. Please note structure is subject to change
• Provide reception cover for Crisis Skylight staff, service users, volunteers and members of the public. This includes formally ‘opening’ reception at the start of the working day and ‘closing’ at the end of the working day
• Provide a welcoming, inclusive and safe environment for Skylight members, staff and Old Fire Station customers
• Be the initial point of contact for Skylight members explaining the Skylight offer
• Liaise with Skylight staff on issues involving reception and interaction with Skylight members
• Manage the day to day running of the reception area
• Answer internal/external calls and route accordingly
• Carry out administrative responsibilities relating to reception including but not exclusively:
o Data entry
o Updating staffing and contacts lists
o Responding to general enquires face to face and over the telephone
o Updating room bookings
• Provide and display information regarding Crisis and external services within the Reception area
• Keep accurate records and ensure data is captured in databases and other IT packages
• Undertake other administrative activities to support the Reception and Office Manager, the Facilities Manager and the Progression and Learning teams
• Develop and maintain an understanding of the work and practice of all the organisations operating within the Old Fire Station
• Comply with the charity’s equal opportunities and Health & Safety policies
• Ensure that any safeguarding concerns are identified and reported in line with Crisis’ procedures.
• Actively encourage and support member involvement within Crisis
• Develop and maintain an understanding of the charity’s work and the needs and circumstances of homeless people
• Comply with Crisis policies and procedures, including Health and Safety policies, for which all employees owe a duty of care both to themselves and others, in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act
• Carry out any other duties that may reasonably be required in the light of the main purpose of the job.
1 Experience of working within a reception or administrative support role
2 Experience of providing customer service with a commitment to deliver the highest standard of customer care
3 Able to deal with challenging situations and individuals with a range of needs with a calm and confident approach in order to reach a positive resolution
4 Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work successfully with disadvantaged/or socially excluded groups and individuals
5 Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
6 Willing and able to work collaboratively within a team
7 Good organisational skills with ability to deal effectively with conflicting priorities in a busy environment
8 Empathy and understanding of the issues faced by homeless people
9 Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word/Outlook/Excel)
10 Commitment to Crisis’ purpose and values including equality and social inclusion
11 Knowledge of and ability to comply with safeguarding procedures
12 Experience of working with people experiencing homelessness or other vulnerable groups.
We encourage applications from all sections of the community particularly those with personal or previous experience of homelessness.
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please visit our website to apply online. The job description is available on our website by clicking on the red ‘Vacancy Details’ button.
If you would like to chat to us about any required reasonable adjustments, please contact the HR Team on 020 7426 3819 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 27 May 2019 (11.59pm)
Interview date: 3 June 2019
We value diversity, promote equality and encourage and applications from people of all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from people with lived experience of homelessness.