Role summary: We are looking for a part-time money or welfare benefits caseworker to join our friendly, supportive and highly motivated team of specialist advisers, for a fixed-term period to the end of March 2020. You will have substantial knowledge and experience of money advice and/or welfare benefit advice.
The Agnes Smith Advice Centre is based in Blackbird Leys in Oxford. At the heart of the local community, the Centre specialises in money advice, welfare benefits (including appeals to tribunal) and housing advice. We can offer you a flexible position (7-14 hours per week), to fit around other work commitments, at a competitive salary. We may be able to offer an extension to the initial, fixed-term period.
As an equal opportunities employer we value diversity, and encourage and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.
For more information about the Centre, see our website at www.agnessmith.co.uk.
Job location (usual place of work): Blackbird Leys, Oxford
Pay rate: £28,785 pro rata
Pay is pro rata?: Yes
Job title: Money/Welfare Benefits Caseworker (Temporary)
Applications close on date: Monday 25th November 2019
Hours are: Part time
Contract is: Temporary
Job description: • Provide advice and casework in either debt or welfare benefits (including first-tier tribunal appeals or court representation)
• Act for the client where necessary by calculating, negotiating, drafting or writing letters and telephoning.
• Ensure income maximisation through the take up of appropriate welfare benefits and/or other money advice.
• Keep up to date with legislation and relevant case law dealing with all Social Security benefits and/or money advice.
• Ensure that all work conforms to the Centre’s quality standards, policies and procedures
• Maintain case records, using IT where necessary, for statistical recording, record keeping and document production.
• Carry out any other tasks that may be within the scope of the post to ensure the effective delivery and development of the service.
1. Knowledge and experience of advice and casework in debt or welfare benefits. Must hold IMA Certificate in Money Advice Practice or GGDA at court representation level if applying as a debt caseworker. Must have experience of preparing appeal submissions if applying as a benefits caseworker
2. Effective oral communication skills with particular emphasis on negotiating and representing.
3. Effective writing skills with ability to compose concise arguments and present a coherent case
4. Numerate to the level required to undertake specialist casework.
5. Commitment to the Centre’s principles, including confidentiality, and equality/diversity.
6. Ability to deal with clients in a sensitive and professional manner.
7. Ability to prioritise own work, meet deadlines, manage caseload and follow agreed policies and procedures
8. Ability to use IT in the provision of advice and the preparation of reports and submissions.
9. Willingness to work as part of a team, and to give and receive feedback objectively and constructively
To apply, please contact: Please apply by sending a CV with a covering letter showing clearly how you meet the requirements listed in the above person specification, and stating your reasons for applying for the post.
Please also supply, with your CV and covering letter, the names and contact details of two referees. Referees should be able to comment on your work history and/or other experience relevant to the role.
Please apply either in writing to the Centre Manager, Mandy Richards, at 96 Blackbird Leys Road, Oxford OX4 6HS or by email, to email@example.com
For informal inquiries about the post please contact Mandy Richards on 01865 770206