Chair of Trustees: Sunningwell School of Art, Oxfordshire Voluntary
Are you interested in being part of an exciting, creative thinking art school? We are looking for a new Chair of Trustees to help steer its future direction together alongside our enthusiastic directors and trustees.
Sunningwell School of Art, in the delightful village of Sunningwell near Abingdon in Oxfordshire, is a unique centre for the tuition of art to students of all ages and abilities. It is a small educational charitable organisation that started in 1977 and has grown to provide drawing, painting, sculpture and pottery courses for over 400 students a term including children. It is funded by fees, fundraising and small grants with a revenue of c £270K p.a. It was established as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) in 2019.
We are currently seeking a new Chair to lead the team of voluntary trustees following the retirement of the current chair. The trustees work closely with the Artistic Director and Administrative Director to deliver an exciting programme of creative courses across the visual arts and crafts.
- Chair the Board of Trustees, taking responsibility for directing its affairs, ensuring that it is solvent, well-run and delivering the charitable outcomes for which it has been set up.
- Lead its strategic development and enable it to reach sound decisions using your skills, knowledge and experience.
- Act as an ambassador for Sunningwell School of Art, safeguarding its good name and its long established values.
- Ensure an effective relationship between the trustees, the staff and the students
- Ensure that the School has appropriate policies and procedures commensurate with a CIO including safeguarding, health and safety, financial controls etc.
- Oversee and monitor the management and administration of the School.
The essential attributes needed are:
- Commitment to the School, its vision and values
- Understanding of both charity governance and business practices. However, previous experience of being a trustee or governor is not essential.
- Integrity, strategic vision, good independent judgement, leadership and a willingness to contribute
The Trustees meet six times per year often followed by a combined meeting with the Directors. Trustees are encouraged to support the School at informal art open evenings, fundraising and other functions as part of their ambassadorial role. As the School is involved in teaching children, you will need a DBS Certificate, if you join our organisation.
For further information please visit the website https://www.artschool.org.uk/ or arrange to speak to the Acting Chair of Trustees by contacting the school.
Please apply by sending your CV and a covering letter giving details of your relevant experience, attributes and declaration of any possible conflicts of interests to Vanessa Woodward, Administrative Director, Sunningwell School of Art, Sunningwell, Abingdon, OX13 6RD. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.