Role summary: Are you passionate about making sure the voice and experiences of Black, Asian and minority ethnic communities (BAME) in Oxfordshire are heard?
– Do you enjoy meeting people and hearing about their lives?
– Can you inspire people to speak out about what is important to them?
– Do you want to help improve health and social care services?
– Do you want to make a difference?
Healthwatch Oxfordshire is recruiting a Community Outreach worker – BAME communities.
We are looking for an enthusiastic community outreach worker who will take time to meet people, build relationships and trust, and reach out through BAME community networks.
Building on your own understanding and experience of BAME communities, you will get out and about to listen to what is important when it comes to people’s wellbeing, health and social care.
You will be a good communicator, speak a 2nd language including written and spoken English and have basic IT skills including using email and Microsoft Office Word, and social media.
This role will be based from home, working in Oxford, for 15 hours a week, and is on a 12-month contract.
The closing date for applications is 9.00 am on Monday 12th October.
Interviews will be held on Thursday 15th October in the afternoon in Oxford.
Job location (usual place of work): Home based
Pay rate: £11,840 per annum for 15 hours per week
Pay is pro rata?: No
Job title: Community Outreach worker – BAME communities
Applications close on date: 9.00 am on Monday 12th October
Hours are: Part time
Contract is: Fixed term
Job description: To support Healthwatch Oxfordshire’s Senior Community Involvement Officer by working with community representatives to:
• Address health inequalities by listening to members of BAME communities whose voice is seldom heard by health and social care providers and commissioners.
• Support development, design, and establishment of a community researcher model in Oxfordshire as part of Healthwatch Oxfordshire’s work around addressing health inequalities.
1. To contact and listen to members of communities in Oxfordshire experiencing health inequalities that are often not heard from.
2. To explore with members of these communities their experiences of accessing health and care services and how this affects their wellbeing.
3. To report to Healthwatch Oxfordshire what is being said so we can use their voice to influence positive change in how services are developed and delivered.
4. Identify community representatives that want to be involved in the development of a community researcher model in Oxfordshire.
• You believe that all communities should have a voice and be heard.
• You believe that change should be influenced by people’s experience and ideas.
• You enjoy meeting, talking and listening to people and finding out what is important to their wellbeing.
• You can build trust and relationships with people from different communities.
• You are good at communicating to others in a way that can be easily understood by members of different communities, including face to face, through social media and other formats such as Zoom etc.
• You understand and have experience of what it is like to be a member of the BAME communities in Oxfordshire.
• You have experience of building relationships through community groups and networks of community organisations.
• You are willing to learn more about health and social care services in Oxfordshire.
• You have a 2nd language including written and spoken English.
• You have basic IT skills including using email and Microsoft Office Word.
• You are naturally organised, experienced of and confident in working on your own.
• You can work evenings and at the weekend when required.
• You have occasional access to independent transport.
• You are entitled to work in the UK.
• You understand confidentiality in the workplace and community.
• You will always comply with our General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
and Confidentiality policy.
• You will acquire a satisfactory DBS check.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list but to indicate the main responsibilities of the post. The post holder will also be expected to carry out other activities that may reasonably be requested. It will be reviewed periodically to consider changes and developments in service requirement.
The job role may need to adapt in response to Covid-19 guidelines – risk assessments are carried out for all work.
To apply, please contact: Full details of the role and an application form are available at https://healthwatchoxfordshire.co.uk/about-us/work-for-us/
Interested candidates are invited to call the Executive Director, Rosalind Pearce, or Veronica Barry for an informal chat about the post on 01865 520520.
Applications should comprise a completed application form clearly setting out how you meet the person specification for the post and should be received no later than 9.00 am on Monday 12th October 2020.