The role of the Visitor Experience Duty Manager is to support the Visitor Experience Team (VE) with the management of gallery opening hours and the events calendar.
Motivating and leading the VE Team, on a day to day basis, providing an inspiring, engaging and inclusive visitor experience for broad and diverse audiences.
This role will cover weekends, evening events and occasional leave days for the VE Team.
Visitor Experience Duty Managers fulfil Duty Management responsibilities for the building to ensure the safety and security of staff, visitors and exhibitions/events.
Please note that this is a bank staff role. Hours of work are as and when required, by mutual agreement on a 4 week rota. These may periodically increase or decrease depending on the requirements of the Gallery. The candidate will receive two weeks notice of any changes to their hours. They will be expected to work evenings and weekends.
Job location (usual place of work): Modern Art Oxford, 30 Pembroke Street, Oxford
Pay Rate: £13.25 per hour
Applications close on: 28/12/2023 (applications assessed on a rolling basis)
Hours: Part time – casual staff
Contract is: Temporary
Operational and Health & Safety
• The VEDM (Visitor Experience Duty Manager) is responsible for opening and / or closing the building on their shift, and for the setting of alarms. They are also required, in an emergency, to organise maintenance of the building, including intruder and fire alarms. All Duty Managers are included on the call out list for possible out of hours alarm issues.
• In the event of an emergency or fire alarm the VEDM is required to manage a full building evacuation and work as the contact person to the fire brigade.
• To ensure that the building is safe and clean by checking all areas before the building is open to the public or before an event. Turning on/off all lighting and replacing bulbs where necessary, checking fuse boards and making minor repairs, cleaning toilets when necessary. Continue to monitor throughout the day, allocating deliveries to appropriate storage areas, checking toilet facilities and following general risk assessment for areas of prohibited public access.
• To manage and adhere to all Health and Safety and building security practices, including completing risk assessments for events. On the shifts when the Duty Manger is the only key holder in the building they must not leave the premises.
• To be responsible for upholding the premises licence according to the Licensing Act 2003, to ensure the café/bar adheres to alcohol licensing laws and to oversee the selling and consumption of alcohol within the building and any other licensed activities. To ensure that capacity numbers for events are not exceeded.
• The Duty Manager is required to turn on / off the show and ensure it is functioning correctly during gallery opening hours. Also, to ensure a curator or the Production Manager is informed of any faults, breakages etc.
• Lead and motivate Visitor Experience team members and volunteers to ensure the delivery of high standards of visitor and artwork care, safety, security, visitor welcome, wayfinding, building presentation and housekeeping.
• Brief the Visitor Experience Team Members and volunteers daily about their duties for the shift and ensure they have all the necessary resources in order to provide an excellent standard of customer service to all visitors.
• To be a First Aider and know the location of the First Aid boxes.
• To cover the break of the shop staff and/or VE team and to provide cover in the galleries, shop or Information Desk during busy periods or in an emergency.
• To ensure that Shop takings are secured in the safe.
• To read any emails or hand over notes at the beginning of his / her shift and to communicate to the Visitor Services Manager (VSM) any issues arising during their shift and record incidents in incident log book
• Carry out any other duties as directed by the VSM/HoFVE as required
• Work collaboratively with other members of the Visitor Experience team and other gallery departments providing services that contribute to visitor experience, (including the cafe and shop) to ensure a consistent and seamless service is provided to our visitors.
• To be able to give short tours/presentations to schools/groups about the current exhibition.
• To deal with all general enquiries and problems that may arise during the shift in a calm and professional manner with both customers and staff.
• Work with VSM to manage group booking enquiries sensitively and efficiently.
• Work with the VSM to develop projects that will build on and enhance the visitor experience
• Work with the VSM to coach and develop the Visitor Experience team to ensure their skills and knowledge of gallery activities are up-to date.
• Assist the VSM with the delivery of induction and training sessions for Visitor Experience team members and volunteers.
• To assist in the coordination of events with event organisers and other key staff to ensure that all arrangements have been made for staff, equipment and booking of each event.
• To support the events and hires programme at the gallery, including setting up of AV equipment and moving furniture for events.
• Work with Commercial Manager to keep up to date with hire enquiries and show prospective clients available spaces if required.
• To provide a warm welcome to hirers, visiting speakers, artists, and ensure they have everything they need for their event.
• Complete event reports for all events and distribute VSM and event organisers.
• Checking online sales and tickets, assisting with processing sales and bookings for events when necessary. Ensure that all visitor figures and sales are recorded after each event.
To apply, please contact: email@example.com – Please apply at this link: https://hr.breathehr.com/v/visitor-experience-duty-manager-32821